Slump

Slump.

To me that's kind of a taboo word.

People in sports don't want to hear it.

People in sales or business don't either.

Single people trying to date may not like it.

And I'm fairly confident that's a dreaded word for authors.

But you know what, as a reader, I pretty much hate that word too.

I read every day. The speed varies and there are times I can read a book in a day(rare) and there are times it takes me a week (also rare). I average almost two books a week most of the time.

Depending on who you talk too, those numbers can be high or low. The fact is those numbers, for me, pretty much stay the same no matter how busy or not busy I am in my life.

Except when that word rears its ugly head.

SLUMP

For me several things can/ may bring on a reading slump:

Anticipating an author's upcoming release can make it hard to concentrate on a book as I daydream about what I really wish what I could be reading.

Reading a few clunkers back to back can also make it hard to get into a book.

Bad timing- just plain picking a few books to try to get into but nothing catching my attention can make everything seem uninteresting.

I hate reading slumps. Books I'd normally love to read can just simply just sit unread.

So how do you get out of your own personal reading slumps?

I typically take a break. I'll put my book(s)  down and walk away. Give it a couple hours to refresh my perspective. When I'm in a full blown slump trying to find a book, I'll only give a book a few pages to click with me(unlike what I would normally do, but that's a topic for another day). Usually that works.

Once in a blue moon it doesn't. Even switching genres and to magazines doesn't help.

Let me tell you, as someone who eats, breathes and sleeps books... this really really sucks.  I joke that I was born with a book in my hands, so not reading is like nails on a chalkboard.

Horror movies don't scare me.

What strikes terror into my heart is that Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith. You know the one... end of the world... last man alive... nothing but time to read all of the books in existence... eyeglasses break...fade to black...

Told you- total nightmare right?

My point is, not being able to read in any regard stinks.

So here's wishing us days filled with good health, laughter and ...yes reading.





Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can go through a good book usually in a day. If its a book i can't get into,i try my best to finish it no matter how bad it is. It puts me in a slump and slows down my reading pace . But i don't let that me stop my enthusiasm for reading. I start right back up and pick out a book that sounds really good and saucy. That always get me back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually try to finish anything I've read more than 50 pages in even if the book is a clunker. LOL That's why lots of times if I don't get hooked within the first chapter or so, I'll try something else. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment