BOOK CLUB THURSDAY-READING CHALLENGE 2016



WELCOME BOOK LOVERS


My name is Cyndi and I'd like to thank you for stopping by for another round of book talk on Book Club Thursday (BCT).

Each week myself and two best friends (Ann and Karen) blog all about books or book related themes. To learn more about each of us and BCT please take a peek at the page tab at the top of my blog.

This week's theme is: 



In a nutshell, the Challenge consists of a pre-picked list of themes/ideas...challenges etc and each of us must read a book that fits the "challenge".

For this month I chose:

Re-read a desert island book 

You know what I mean. A book that would go with you if you were stranded on a desert island-a few weeks ago I blogged about the topic, calling these type of books "suitcase" books (read more here )

In fact I picked one of those books I talked about in the link:



Part basset, part beagle, all Cupid . . .


For Nina Askew, turning forty means freedom -- from the ex-husband, freedom from their stuffy suburban home, freedom to focus on what she wants for a change. And what she wants is something her ex always vetoed -- a puppy. A bouncy, adorable puppy. Instead she gets . . . Fred.
Overweight, middle-aged, a bit smelly and obviously depressed, Fred is light-years from perky. But he does manage to put Nina in the path of Alex Moore, her gorgeous, younger-by-a-decade neighbor.
Alex seems perfect -- he's a sexy, seemingly sane, surprisingly single E.R. doctor -- but the age gap convinces Nina that anyone but Alex would be better relationship material. But with every silver-haired stiff she dates, the more she suspects it's the young, dog-loving doc she wants to sit and stay.


It has been a few years since I have read this book and it is a bit different than what I remembered...

Oh, I remembered clearly the start of the book and  Fred-he is one of the main reasons this book is so dear to me- and a few other scenes. I also recalled and love the fact Nina is older than Alex too. However, there are a few scant things that I didn't remember so well...some good (other characters, the dialogue) and some off putting (hard to really articulate).

Overall, it was nice that I chose this because it was almost like I was reading it for the first time -if that makes sense? I took something away from this go round read that I haven't / hadn't before in the past.

This still remains a desert island book for me. I wish I had more to say but since this is a shorter novel, I can't say much without giving things away. Plus, again, Fred  LOL





Website | Blog  








November 3rd: Clearing Off the Book Shelves




Comments