book club thursday- reading challenge









WELCOME BOOK LOVERS

Thanks for stopping by. My name is Cyndi and each week, myself and my two best book friends forever Ann and Karen jointly blog together on Book Club Thursday (BCT). To learn all about BCT please click here

If you're a regular reader, you are going to see some fresh changes to each of our BCT blogs for 2017. We are very excited and hope you will participate in our events. 

This week we have: 






Our Reading Challenge days mean that we are "challenged" to find/read a book from one of our pre-made lists. I picked a book from this list (highlighted in RED):



SUPER TRICKY

Read a book that taught you about a subject you are unfamiliar with
Read a book with a on the run or road trip theme
Trifecta Books (sounds, cover and title must all …be cute/sexy /etc)
Read a book with an “unconventional” heroine
Name that Tune











An Oprah.com Page-Turning Novels Pick

A 2017 Indie Next Pick

Bustle Most Anticipated Thriller Novel of 2017

An Entertainment Weekly “Must List” Pick

A high-stakes drama set against the harsh beauty of the Maine wilderness, charting the journey of four friends as they fight to survive the aftermath of a white water rafting accident, The River at Night is a nonstop and unforgettable thriller by a stunning new voice in fiction.

Winifred Allen needs a vacation.

Stifled by a soul-crushing job, devastated by the death of her beloved brother, and lonely after the end of a fifteen-year marriage, Wini is feeling vulnerable. So when her three best friends insist on a high-octane getaway for their annual girls’ trip, she signs on, despite her misgivings.

What starts out as an invigorating hiking and rafting excursion in the remote Allagash Wilderness soon becomes an all-too-real nightmare: A freak accident leaves the women stranded, separating them from their raft and everything they need to survive. When night descends, a fire on the mountainside lures them to a ramshackle camp that appears to be their lifeline. But as Wini and her friends grasp the true intent of their supposed saviors, long buried secrets emerge and lifelong allegiances are put to the test. To survive, Wini must reach beyond the world she knows to harness an inner strength she never knew she possessed.

With intimately observed characters, visceral prose, and pacing as ruthless as the river itself, The River at Night is a dark exploration of creatures—both friend and foe—that you won’t soon forget.





When I bought this book it was for a few reasons, none of which were for BCT but...it just so happened I was smart enough to think to apply it(after reading it and learning about one of it's main themes of survival tactics and white water rafting) to one of the Reading Challenges...Lucky me  ðŸ˜Š

When I first saw the blurb about the book, it was in my Entertainment Weekly Magazine and everything about it peaked my interest (plus there was mention of movie rights and after reading the book I can see why even though I'm not a big fan of book to movie adaptations).

To be honest I have mixed feelings about this book but in all truth I'd actually add an extra 1/2 of a star. 

First off, the cover totally fits.  In my opinion the cover-murky and a variety of dark shades fits with this book. And by that I mean Ms. Ferencik's writing has a murky dark feel (not a bad thing). 

The writing is plain insidious (again not a bad thing) It's utterly creepy in parts and fast paced.The characters aren't all that likable but they are realistic and that's part of the appeal I think. The setting is very well developed, another huge part of the appeal of the book. HOWEVER in my opinion ...it suffered from deciding where it should lie genre wise. And sadly some things confused me (there were a few scenes in the beginning I thought might lend to some foreshadowing  but didn't) and the last part of the book left me scratching my head (and there was no real follow thru - can't say more less I ruin it). 

Despite the fact that it sounds like I didn't much care for the book, I did. 

It entertained me and made me think which are always huge pluses in my book (pun intended LOL). 




Amazon | B & N  | Kobo


















March 2nd: Remember When 






Comments