clearing off the book shelves










WELCOME BOOK LOVERS


Thanks for stopping by. My name is Cyndi and each week, myself and my two best book friends forever Ann and Karen jointly blog together on Book Club Thursday (BCT). To learn all about BCT please click here

If you're a regular reader, you are going to see some fresh changes to each of our BCT blogs for 2017. We are very excited and hope you will participate in our events. 


This week we have:


These are easy weeks that allow each of us to read and review any title that we'd like as long as it has been on our book shelf for at least six months. 

Here's my pick: 













Catherine West has spent her entire life surrounded by beautiful things. And yet, despite all this, she still feels empty. After two broken engagements and boyfriends who wanted only her money, she is worried that she'll never have a family of her own.

Then at an art opening Catherine meets William Stockton, a handsome banker who shares her impeccable taste and whose parents once moved in the same circles as Catherine's. But as William and Catherine grow closer, she begins to encounter strange signs. Her mother, now suffering lapses in memory, seems to hate William on sight. Is William lying about his past? And if so, is Catherine willing to sacrifice their beautiful life in order to find the truth?




I bought this book in hardcover when in first came out(circa June 2016) because of the buzz surrounding it, specifically because it was noted there was a HUGE TWIST, but I actually didn't read it until just recently. 

My loss. 

First off, I love to read books with twists because in all honesty 99% of the time I nail what it is pretty quick.

That was the case here- I guessed immediately and wasn't shocked but that's okay. 

I really loved this book- I'm a huge fan for so many reasons. 

Ms. Huntley writes with a hypnotic style- seriously I did not want to put the book down (I read it in just over a day). This to me had a sense of the old-school to it, noir but not quite if that makes sense. 

I didn't quite care for Catherine- she's pretty horrible overall and I wished for a bit more regarding her ending. I'm being deliberately vague here as to avoid spoilers. 

On a side note, there is an odd plot line involving William and his student Max. Am I reading between the lines correctly? Did I miss something? Again, I'm avoiding spoilers.

For me, this seemed to be a commentary on the rich/wealthy and the lengths they will go to, to keep up appearances and their lifestyles. 

This book is totally worth the read and I also have Ms. Huntley's second novel The Goddesses and plan to read that soon. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on either of Ms. Huntley's novels.





































September 21st : Free Day 







Comments