book club thursday- reading challenge






Welcome Readers


My name is Cyn and each week we (me and my BFF Ann from  Romancing the Readers) blog all about books and book related topics on something we call Book Club Thursday(BCT).  Learn more about me and BCT here

Our feature today is:


What's a Reading Challenge?

It's when we can read any book as long as it fits one of the challenges on our list:

Read a book published before 2010
Read a book published in the month (not year) you were born
Read a book set in your home state (Feb 22nd)
Read a book with a cover you don’t like
Read a book you once gave up on
Read a book with a clever title
Read a new to you author
Start a new series
Read a hardcover
Read a trade ( Jan 25th)
Read a “small-town” romance
Read a book with a favorite trope
Read a historical set anywhere but the USA
Read a book you keep meaning to read
Read a book that taught you something
Read a Trifecta book (sounds, cover, title must all be same theme)


Anger Management (a book that PISSED you off at some point)
Anything Goes (read ANYTHING you want)
Just Because (you read this “just because”…state the reason)
Bird- Beast – Fish (atypical animals are part of the story)
Land-Sea-Sky (features bodies of water, mountains, planes etc)
Double Dip (can re- do any challenge)
An Apple a Day (medical main character(s))
Recommend By (say who / what )
I Tried, But… (one you couldn’t finish and why)
Second Chances (an author you are giving a “second” chance to)
Hot for Teacher (main character(s)is a teacher)
Read a historical set in the USA
The Great Outdoors (main character(s) work outdoors)
AKA (author with a pseudonym)
BOO! ( book with a ghost)

Survivors (books with hard subject matter)

* completed challenges 



My challenge pick this week:

Read a book set in your home state






The #1 New York Times bestselling “queen of paranormal romance” (USA Today) is back with a sexy series starring a Chicago crime family that hides a dark, mystical secret...
 
Whether it’s fast cars or fast women, Stefano Ferraro gets what he wants. When he’s not fodder for the paparazzi, he commands Ferraro family businesses—both legitimate and illegitimate.
 
While their criminal activity is simply a rumor yet to be proven, no one knows the real truth. The Ferraros are a family of shadow riders capable of manipulating light and dark, an ability Stefano thought ran in his family alone—until now…
 
With little left to her name, Francesca Cappello has come to Chicago in hopes of a new life. She wasn’t expecting to attract the attention of a man with primal hunger in his eyes, driven to claim her as his to protect and to please. And if he discovers her secret, it could ruin her...








First off- I was disappointed that the setting of Chicago/Little Italy had such a minor role in the novel.

Secondly Ms Feehan's habit of repetition in her writing, sometimes sentences later, is not only annoying but insulting to me as a reader. And this is prevalent through quite a large portion of this book. 

That said...

I really liked this book. I mean I read it in about a day and a half. 

The best part of the book, for me was sense of family. Ms Feehan has written some damn hot/strong characters here in this kick off Shadow novel. 

The paranormal element(s) are treated with a light touch and not heavily explained but I was totally okay with all that. 

What I wasn't okay with was Francesca (mostly). She was immature at times and almost TSTL(too stupid to live). Every time I thought I was just starting to warm up to her...

But again, I really liked something about this book. It is a pinch dark (and I mean only a pinch). There was also a line used in the book (a few times) that made me roll my eyes and snicker but in a good way (try to guess what it was LOL). 

I can't wait to read the next book(s) in the series. 









Amazon | B & N  kobo




















March 1st: 

Getting to Know Us: Spotlight On




Comments