BCT-CATCHING UP~JAYNE ANN KRENTZ-REVIEW







WELCOME BOOK LOVERS








This week for BCT, we are playing catch up with an author that the three of us on the BCT Team are behind on: Jayne Ann Krentz.

This author writes under several names depending the genre of romance(I've only listed the three most common/current):

Jayne Ann Krentz- Romantic Suspense
Jayne Castle- Paranormal/Futuristic 
Amanda Quick- Historical 

I've got books by her under all three names piled up. I've been on a bit of a historical romance kick lately so I chose an Amanda Quick. In talking about my review(listed below) I will be discussing the author as she writes relating to Quick(unless I note otherwise). 


Miss Amity Doncaster, world traveler, is accustomed to adventure and risk. Benedict Stanbridge, a man of science and a spy for the Crown, has faced danger in the darker corners of foreign lands. But they are about to face a threat that is shockingly close to home . . .

One does not expect to be kidnapped on a London street in broad daylight. But Amity Doncaster barely escapes with her life after she is trapped in a carriage with a blade-wielding man in a black silk mask who whispers the most vile taunts and threats into her ear. Her quick thinking, and her secret weapon, save her . . . for now.

But the monster known in the press as the Bridegroom, who has left a trail of female victims in his wake, has survived the wounds she inflicts and will soon be on his feet again. He is unwholesomely obsessed by her scandalous connection to Benedict Stanbridge—gossip about their hours alone in a ship’s stateroom seems to have crossed the Atlantic faster than any sailing vessel could. Benedict refuses to let this resourceful, daring woman suffer for her romantic link to him—as tenuous as it may be.

For a man and woman so skilled at disappearing, so at home in the exotic reaches of the globe, escape is always an option. But each intends to end the Bridegroom’s reign of terror in London, and will join forces to do so. And as they prepare to confront an unbalanced criminal in the heart of the city they love, they must also face feelings that neither of them can run away from. 


CONNECT WITH THE AUTHOR



MY TWO CENTS



This book was a bit of mixed bag for me. 

In some of Ms. Quick's recent books, I was lukewarm to the paranormal element in some of them. 

I'm happy to say, that I didn't find any paranormal here. 

However, what I did find that is she (along with some of the recent Quick books) has thrown in equal parts mystery(sometimes more) with the romance. 

This in general doesn't bother me too much. However what I really really miss in many of her recent books is what I found in two in of my favorite Quick books: Ravished and Mistress. The sense of romance, fun and sheer feel good comfort I got from those two books...I've yet to reclaim those feelings in a Quick book. 

Maybe I'm a bit unfair to keep comparing books to those two, finding them lacking, not measuring up in some way...but to be honest I think we as readers probably do that in general with our authors more than we care to admit. 

Oh damn, I went off topic didn't I? Stalling, you say? 

You betcha. 

As much as I liked the start of this book, and the main characters; Amity's an adventurous, smart, save herself type of heroine and Benedict is a super intelligent geeky/quirky sexy hero... I just couldn't completely warm up to them as a couple- and maybe that was due to the pacing of their relationship or yeah... see above. 

My biggest beefs with this novel were the repetition and the villain(crazy much?). Not to mention the fact the running around like chickens with their heads lopped off got a bit annoying too. 

The good- the plot(although a tad predictable) and nicely developed sub-plots, including a great secondary romance (which I liked even better than the main one)made this book fairly enjoyable. 



VISIT THE BCT TEAM

UP NEXT 

December

3rd:    2016-I Want That!
10th:   Reading Challenge
17th:   Reading Challenge Giveaway
24th:   Holiday Book Review
31st:    Reading Challenge 2016/ Re-Cap 2015 Challenges

Comments