BOOK CLUB THURSDAY-FREE DAY








WELCOME BOOK LOVERS







Thanks for joining us this week for our Free Day.  That means each of us can talk about whatever strikes our fancy concerning books.

Honestly, this week, despite being able to talk about what ever the heck I want to talk about...I'm drawing a huge blank.

Many of you that have read my blog before, especially when I review, know that I am usually short on my words.

Also some of you may or may not know, that unlike my best friends who also blog with me on Book Club Thursday, I'll read just about anything. As I've gotten older, I've found myself reading  about as much (strict) Romance to everything else. I've always said if you're reading-magazines, Memoirs, Sci-Fi, Romance, Cookbooks, Comics- heck...whatever...it's a good thing because you are READING. And a true book lover is open to reading anything as long as it appeals to them, and there is nothing wrong with choosing one genre over of the other. And let me tell you, there are people out there that still give the Romance Genre/Readers the cold shoulder, negative comments etc - so I don't ever bad-mouth directly or in a back-handed manner, anybody's reading choices. In my opinion, being quote "well-read" has nothing to do with what one reads. Okay, I'm hopping off my soap box. 

So here we go- I'm going to touch on one of the genres I like to read- COMICS.

I never read them really until I was in my mid twenties. Then I took a huge a break from them. However during the past few years, I've started up again and I'm so glad I did. 

There are so many great titles out there, combining all sorts of genres- Horror, Sci-Fi, Romance, Action, Humor...you name it. And yeah, if you're a die-hard comic book lover, you already know what I've I just said. Chalk it up to me being somewhat of a Newbie(again). 

So, I'm going to touch on a couple of the Comic Series I'm totally ADDICTED to.  They are really worth checking out. The best part is both feature strong kick ass females! Although both have been out for awhile, Trade books collecting back-issues are still available. I highly recommend catching up before jumping in (especially with the first series I'm mentioning):


Winner of the 2013 Hugo award for Best Graphic Story! When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults. This specially priced volume collects the first six issues of the smash-hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls "the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make." Voted one of the top graphic novels of the year by the NYT, IGN, the Examiner, and SF Weekly. Voted Best Comic of the year by MTV Geek and Best New Series by Paradox Comics. Voted a finalist in the GoodReads Best GN of 2012 contest. Named one of Time Magazine's top 10 graphic novels for 2013

LEARN MORE: SAGA COMICS





Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all god's creatures for profit. It's also a darkly comedic sass-and-sorcery series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack! 





LEARN MORE: RAT QUEENS COMIC



I guess I had more to prattle on about than I thought! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I'd love to hear from you, especially if you have any Comics you are addicted to, or your thoughts on the two mentioned above. 


Want to read what my friends blogged about for Free Day? Visit them now:



And don't forget to join us next week- 21Jan- for our Catching Up On: Heather Graham- where we will each be reviewing a book by her we are behind on.



HAPPY READING

Comments