saturday scoop











Welcome Book Lovers


That sounds so much better than book haters doesn't it!  LOL 

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my "scoop" (I'm all about the short sweet spoiler free style of reviewing) about a book I've read. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts or comments, if you have any, about this novel. I'd also love to hear about your favorite novel by this author (if there is/you have one). 




Named One of 2018’s Most Anticipated Books by NPR’s Weekend Edition, Real Simple, The Millions, The Guardian, Bustle, and Book Riot

She has the keys to their apartment. She knows everything. She has embedded herself so deeply in their lives that it now seems impossible to remove her.
 
When Myriam, a French-Moroccan lawyer, decides to return to work after having children, she and her husband look for the perfect nanny for their two young children. They never dreamed they would find Louise: a quiet, polite, devoted woman who sings to the children, cleans the family’s chic apartment in Paris’s upscale tenth arrondissement, stays late without complaint, and hosts enviable kiddie parties. But as the couple and the nanny become more dependent on one another, jealousy, resentment, and suspicions mount, shattering the idyllic tableau. Building tension with every page, The Perfect Nanny is a compulsive, riveting, bravely observed exploration of power, class, race, domesticity, and motherhood—and the American debut of an immensely talented writer.







I'd like to say that although this is a translated edition (French into English) as a reader, I didn't really notice. I've read translated fiction in the past and many times things are lost/do not make sense etc but that was not the case here. In fact, I would not have even known if I didn't see the note about it on the first page(s). 

Also do not the slim page count (approx 228) of this novel fool you because quite a punch is packed. 

To be honest, at first I wasn't quite sure how much I really liked it but...there is something about this book...

My feelings have nothing to do with the writing or style- it's actually poetic and lyrical at times.

Nor is it the fact that everyone in the novel, for the most part, is unlikable. That works. 

No, both the brilliance of this novel  and my frustration is in the precise lack of the "why". 

I've tried to add it up and come up with a few ideas, but...why is the question. But again  there it is. This is why this novel shines. And maybe it is just me missing something...

I will add the most chilling moment in book, at least for me, is a scene near the end in the kitchen. I won't elaborate but yeah...

This book is worth your time for so many reasons. I look forward to reading what Ms Slimani writes in the future. 







Amazon | B & N  | kobo








Comments