book club thursday - true confessions












Welcome Readers

My name is Cyn and each week we (me and my BFF Ann from  Romancing the Readers) blog all about books and book related topics on something we call Book Club Thursday(BCT).  Learn more about me and BCT here




Our feature today is:

I must confess...


I've pretty much broken up with romance...novels that is.

Well - contemporary ones at least. I still read and enjoy paranormal, suspense and historical romances. 

If you have followed me in the past, you'll notice a HUGE difference in my tastes.

Part of me is sad. I grew up/cut my teeth on romance. 

I was always way ahead in my reading skills and read "adult" contemporary romances novels starting in about 6th grade, before quickly adding historical ones.  

To be honest some but not all modern romances (and I have trouble finding the not all ones)  are just too young in tone/flavor for me. Perplexing since the average romance reader isn't in her 20's (the age group of many contemporary heroines and the heroes too). And again, there are authors that I will and do read in the contemporary market. Again, for me at least, it's a general tone and flavor to some of them. Plus, to be honest, I am a cover person. And when a cover features a male only, that looks barely into his 20's, I get a tad creeped out (I'm at the age where I could have given birth to one) LOL   I know it's silly, and totally in my own head but there that part of the confession is. Although yeah, even with a generic cover, I might feel the same way. 

I'm not knocking romance. Hell, at least 75% of the books I own still fall into that genre. And I do still read some- but now there are more of a treat to me- I appreciate my favorite authors even more. In my book, if you are reading, that's a plus. 

Monday, on my blog, I posted that books equal magic. I firmly believe that - read your magic!  

I'd love to hear about a book themed confession from you so drop me a line below and


To take a peek at what my BFF is confessing :





Romancing the Readers



July 26th: Reading Challenge





Comments