book club thursday - reading challenge








Welcome Readers

My name is Cyn and each week we (me and my BFF Ann from  Romancing the Readers) blog all about books and book related topics on something we call Book Club Thursday(BCT).  Learn more about me and BCT here


Our feature today is:


This is when we read and review a book that fits one of themes from our "challenge" list: 


Read a book published before 2010
Read a book published in the month (not year) you were born
Read a book set in your home state
Read a book with a cover you don’t like
Read a book you once gave up on
Read a book with a clever title
Read a new to you author
Start a new series
Read a hardcover
Read a trade
Read a “small-town” romance
Read a book with a favorite trope
Read a historical set anywhere but the USA
Read a book you keep meaning to read
Read a book that taught you something
Read a Trifecta book (sounds, cover, title must all be same theme)


Anger Management (a book that PISSED you off at some point)
Anything Goes (read ANYTHING you want)
Just Because (you read this “just because”…state the reason)
Bird- Beast – Fish (atypical animals are part of the story)
Land-Sea-Sky (features bodies of water, mountains, planes etc)
Double Dip (can re- do any challenge)
An Apple a Day (medical main character(s))
Recommend By (say who / what )
I Tried, But… (one you couldn’t finish and why)
Second Chances (an author you are giving a “second” chance to)
Hot for Teacher (main character(s)is a teacher)
Read a historical set in the USA
The Great Outdoors (main character(s) work outdoors)
AKA (author with a pseudonym)
BOO! ( book with a ghost)
Survivors (books with hard subject matter)



* completed challenges 



My challenge pick: 


Read a book you keep meaning to read














From the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling series The Clique comes Lisi Harrison's debut adult novel about four modern-day strangers who inherit a dirty book club that was started in the 1960s. M.J. Stark's life is picture-perfect-she has a dream job as a magazine editor, a sexy doctor boyfriend, and a glamorous life in Manhattan. But behind her success, she can't shake a deep sense of loneliness, so when her boyfriend offers her a completely new life in California, she decides to give it a try. Once there, M.J. is left to fend for herself in a small California beach town, with only the company of her elderly neighbor, Gloria. One day M.J. receives a mysterious invitation and a copy of Prim: A Modern Woman's Guide to Manners. She recognizes the book as an outdated classic, but when she opens it, she discovers that it's actually a copy of Fear of Flying by Erica Jong and the invitation is to join Gloria's secret book club-one that only reads erotic books. Out of curiosity, M.J. goes to the meeting at a local bookstore, and discovers three other women who have also been selected by the club's original members-who have suddenly left the country to honor a fifty-year-old pact. As these unlikely friends bond over naughty bestsellers, each woman shares not only the intimate details of her own sex life, but all areas of her life. Inspired by the characters in the novels they read-and the notes passed down by the club's original members-the new members of The Dirty Book Club help each other find the courage to rewrite their own stories and risk it all for a happy ending.



I am so glad I finally decided to read this book!


In fact I featured it on my Someday...Sunday post on August 19th!




There's quite a bit to like about this funny, sexy book with plenty of heart thrown in. I will admit that a few minor things irked me but really, again, they were minor. 

I'm a huge fan of Ms Harrison's writing style and I enjoyed the set up of the book. And dare I say this- kind of channeled Judy Blume for me but in a more adult way. 

This was Ms Harrison's first novel for adults and I hope she writes another one- SOON!


I have the hardback(as pictured above) but I've included the trade buy links instead - and I'm so jealous because I LOVE the trade cover more than the hardback one!  LOL


Here's that cover too - am I right? LOL














Don't forget to check in & see Romancing the Readers pick:







AND 


Oct 4th:

Getting to Know Us: Speed Round 


Comments