Shout Out-The Swap-Robyn Harding- 6/27/2020


The Swap-Robyn Harding
my two cents

welcome book lovers

My name is Cyn and today I'm giving a "shout out" to this book that just came out on June 23. 


Low Morrison is not your average teen. You could blame her hippie parents or her looming height or her dreary, isolated hometown on an island in the Pacific Northwest. But whatever the reason, Low just doesn’t fit in—and neither does Freya, an ethereal beauty and once-famous social media influencer who now owns the local pottery studio.

After signing up for a class, Low quickly falls under Freya’s spell. And Freya, buoyed by Low’s adoration, is compelled to share her darkest secrets and deepest desires. Finally, both feel a sense of belonging...that is, until Jamie walks through the studio door. Desperate for a baby, she and her husband have moved to the island hoping that the healthy environment will result in a pregnancy. Freya and Jamie become fast friends, as do their husbands, leaving Low alone once again.

Then one night, after a boozy dinner party, Freya suggests swapping partners. It should have been a harmless fling between consenting adults, one night of debauchery that they would put behind them, but instead, it upends their lives. And provides Low the perfect opportunity to unleash her growing resentment.


I have mixed feelings about this book for various reasons, most of which are SPOILER comments but I will try not to give anything away.

I will say, if you've read Ms Harding before and enjoyed her, I think you will also enjoy this novel. 

The Swap is what I could label a "trigger" book. There are some darker themes/topics that might be too sensitive for many readers- including but not limited to: domestic abuse, violence,infidelity,sexual awareness/awakening. 

The Swap is told from multiple view points, something that I usually don't mind but somehow it feels lacking here? I don't know if that's the right words? I'm trying to say that the characters lack - well - character maybe? I didn't have strong feelings/connection either way for ANY of them. This made it hard for me to really really like the book.It's about a 3.5 -but I'd up it to four if asked where I'd round it off LOL-Star read.

Don't get me wrong - I still enjoyed it and do recommend it, because it is one of those novels bound to open up a world of questions and conversation based on the themes/topics. The plot development and pacing of this book make it shine, plus if you aren't hooked with that opening...(and that ending...) 






















Comments