Shout Out Saturday 7/4/2020



my two cents
Welcome Book Lovers

My name is Cyn and thanks for stopping by today.

Lots of books below- all of which were just released on 6/30.

I apologize for both the length of this post (again- so many books LOL) and the even shorter reviews!

I will say,overall I mostly enjoyed the books and they are listed in no particular order. So without further ado...


Belle likes to think herself immune to the dizzying effects of fabulous wealth. But when her best friend, Summer, invites her on a glamorous getaway to the Mediterranean aboard her billionaire boyfriend's yacht, the only sensible answer is yes. Belle hopes the trip will be a much-needed break from her stalled acting career and uniquely humiliating waitressing job, but once she's aboard the luxurious Lion's Den, it soon becomes clear this jet-setting holiday is not as advertised.

Belle's dream vacation quickly devolves into a nightmare as she and the handful of other girls Summer invited are treated more like prisoners than guests by their controlling host-and in one terrifying moment, Belle comes to see Summer for who she truly is: a vicious gold digger who will stop at nothing to get what she wants.

Belle realizes she's going to have to keep her wits about her -- and her own big secret closely hidden -- if she wants to make it off the yacht alive.

I love books that remind me of a particular author whose books I would DEVOUR. I am talking about Jackie Collins and this book has that juicy OMG quality to it. I am not comparing the two authors other than saying that the excitement/rush that a Collins book would give me, is the same with The Lion's Den. 

Total fan girl. 

I LOVED that is was a MEAN(boy was it!)and smart and yeah I bet you didn't see that coming type of book!LOL I can't say much without ruining things (yes that nasty word - SPOILERS).

If you are looking for a fun, sexy, book with a twist of mayhem this book is a sure bet!

I give it 4 hearts(out of 5).

 


You can’t put a filter on reality.

Bree Bozeman isn’t exactly pursuing the life of her dreams. Then again, she isn’t too sure what those dreams are. After dropping out of college, she’s living a pretty chill life in the surf community of Pacific Beach, San Diego…if “chill” means delivering food as a GrubGetter, and if it means “uneventful”.

But when Bree starts a new Instagram account — @breebythesea — one of her posts gets a signal boost from none other than wildly popular self-help guru Demi DiPalma, owner of a lifestyle brand empire. Suddenly, Bree just might be a rising star in the world of Instagram influencing. Is this the direction her life has been lacking? It’s not a career choice she’d ever seriously considered, but maybe it’s a sign from the universe. After all, Demi’s the real deal… right?

Everything is lining up for Bree: life goals, career, and even a blossoming romance with the chiseled guy next door, surf star Trey Cantu. But things are about to go sideways fast, and even the perfect filter’s not gonna fix it. Instagram might be free, but when your life looks flawless on camera, what’s the cost?


I really enjoyed the spirit and positive vibes of this book. A total Girl Power read for sure! At least I think that's what I am trying to say? LOL

The author has quite a bit to say about things, social media etc and she does it with a smart entertaining touch.

Bree is a great heroine except for a little point that irked me concerning her relationship with Trey, who is a bit of an ass but that's okay.  

I give it 3.5 hearts (out of 5).




In life, as in gaming, there’s a way around every obstacle . . .
 
To pitch her new role-playing game at a European conference, developer Sierra Reid needs to overcome her terror of public speaking. What better practice than competing in a local bar’s diary slam, regaling an audience with old journal entries about her completely humiliating college crush on gorgeous Tristan Spencer?
 
Until the moderator says, “Next up, Tristan Spencer . . .”
 
Sierra is mortified, but Tristan is flattered. Caught up in memories of her decade-old obsession as they reconnect, Sierra tries to dismiss her growing qualms about him. But it’s not so easy to ignore her deepening friendship with Alfie, the cute, supportive bar owner. She and Alfie were college classmates too, and little by little, Sierra is starting to wonder if she’s been focusing her moves on the wrong target all along, misreading every player’s motivations.
 
Maybe the only winning strategy is to start playing by her heart . . .



This book wasn't what I expected.
And that was not a good thing for me in this case, unlike the book review below, but I digress.

Maybe it was the gaming aspect that I didn't quite care for? Maybe my age is showing? LOL  I don't know.

Plus sometimes the book was just too much and it took me forever to read and despite a strong start, it flops in the second half. 

NOW...that's not to say I didn't like/enjoy certain aspects of the book- mainly the rom-com feel it had and I loved some of the relatable things that happen. 

I give it 3 hearts(out of 5).




Created by a shrewd countess, The Widow’s Grace is a secret society with a mission: to help ill-treated widows regain their status, their families, and even find true love again—or perhaps for the very first time . . .
 
When headstrong West Indian heiress Patience Jordan questioned her English husband's mysterious suicide, she lost everything: her newborn son, Lionel, her fortune—and her freedom. Falsely imprisoned, she risks her life to be near her child—until The Widow's Grace gets her hired as her own son’s nanny. But working for his unsuspecting new guardian, Busick Strathmore, Duke of Repington, has perils of its own. Especially when Patience discovers his military strictness belies an ex-rake of unswerving honor—and unexpected passion . . .
 
A wounded military hero, Busick is determined to resolve his dead cousin’s dangerous financial dealings for Lionel’s sake. But his investigation is a minor skirmish compared to dealing with the forthright, courageous, and alluring Patience. Somehow, she's breaking his rules, and sweeping past his defenses. Soon, between formidable enemies and obstacles, they form a fragile trust—but will it be enough to save the future they long to dare together?



This is the first book (at least I think so) I have read by this author. 

The plot was not was I was expecting- don't be fooled by the cutesy cover because it doesn't really fit-but that's a good thing. There are some themes here (race /sexual inequalities) explored and written in a thoughtful way.     

Although I didn't care for the mixed POV story telling because IMO mixed POV's in romances don't work so well, I really really  liked Patience so maybe that was a win.I also enjoyed the snark between Patience and Busick, but sometimes some of the terms and language seemed a bit...silly? Off? 

I give it 3.5 hearts (out of 5).



Knowing the truth will destroy her. Keeping it secret will destroy him.

It’s Livia’s 40th birthday, and her husband Adam is throwing her the party of a lifetime to make up for the wedding they never had. Everyone she loves will be there, except her daughter Marnie, who’s studying abroad. But Livia is secretly glad Marnie won’t be there.

Livia has recently uncovered a secret about their daughter which, if revealed, will shake the foundation of their family to its core. She needs to tell Adam, but she’s waiting until the party is over so they can have this last happy time together.

Adam, meanwhile, has his own surprise for Livia: he’s arranged for Marnie to secretly fly back for the party. But before Marnie arrives, Adam hears some terrible news. Now he too is faced with a dilemma: Does he share what he's learned with his wife? Is hiding the truth the same as telling a lie? And how far are Adam and Livia willing to go to protect the ones they love—and give each other a last few hours of happiness?

This book was not what I was expecting. In both a good and bad way. I've read prior novels by this author and this was different (not a bad thing).

I don't know how to label this,but I think if you like thought provoking fiction you will enjoy this. 

There is so much say about this novel but I can't because of one word- SPOILERS.

I will say that once I started this book, I didn't really put it down. The pacing and plot are riveting despite my disliking almost everyone, especially Livia, and Adam wasn't much better. 

Again, if you are looking for a book to generate conversation this is a sure bet!

I give it 4 hearts(out of 5). 






Comments