literary musings

 


book reviews


Welcome Book Lovers

Carpe Librum 


My name is Cyn and thanks for stopping by. Today I am hosting my short (sometimes very) no nonsense spoiler free thoughts about a book I've recently read. 



When Cath receives her invitation to The Event--a monetised retreat for social media influencers--she can't believe her luck. Irene Jobert is the most famous influencer in the world, and now Cath will be one of the five participants chosen to stay with Irene in a renovated Transylvanian monastery.

The catch? Their every move will be live-streamed to millions of people around the world. Patrons pay for constant access to their favourite social media stars: Irene, the model; Nathan, the gamer; Jules, the blogger; Daniel, the fitness guru; and Cath, the writer.

Nestled halfway up a mountain, the five are isolated, with nothing but the internet to connect them to the world. That is,until eagle-eyed live-stream followers all around the globe notice a sixth participant. A dark figure lurking in the background.

They thought they were alone. Perhaps they were wrong.




Isolated fiction seems to be a theme I've been reading quite a bit lately. As in- cut off your characters in some fashion due to weather/location etc etc etc

It's an effective tool for sure and works in You Are Invited. 

If you are a fan of Ruth Ware or Lisa Jewell (both are favorites of mine)I think this novel will appeal to you. 

Cath is not completely likable(I still rooted for her and enjoyed that)nor is she quite reliable as a narrator. 

There's a story within a story- and almost another a story- here,  but it more than works. It is a fresh and effective device and kept me on my toes while reading. Smoke and mirrors perhaps? Whatever it is, it totally works.  

I'll call this book paranormal fiction. And while I did wish for just pinch more regarding tying some points together,I still really enjoyed this book and plan to seek out other works by Ms Denzil.

ebook only 

Amazon


Drop me note below-I'd love to hear from you.




    



Comments