The Nesting - C.J.Cooke

 


book reviews


Welcome Book Lovers

Carpe Librum 


My name is Cyn and thanks for stopping by. Today I am hosting my short (sometimes very) spoiler free, no nonsense thoughts about a book I have recently read.



The woods are creeping in on a nanny and two young girls in this chilling modern Gothic thriller.

Architect Tom Faraday is determined to finish the high-concept, environmentally friendly home he’s building in Norway—in the same place where he lost his wife, Aurelia, to suicide. It was their dream house, and he wants to honor her with it.

Lexi Ellis takes a job as his nanny and immediately falls in love with his two young daughters, especially Gaia. But something feels off in the isolated house nestled in the forest along the fjord. Lexi sees mysterious muddy footprints inside the home. Aurelia’s diary appears in Lexi’s room one day. And Gaia keeps telling her about seeing the terrifying Sad Lady. . . .

Soon Lexi suspects that Aurelia didn’t kill herself and that they are all in danger from something far more sinister lurking around them.




There is quite a bit to love about this book.

I wouldn't call this a Gothic novel per se- maybe in the sense of the setting(which is brilliant by the way)and the plot is sort of old school Gothic...oh wait...I guess it is! LOL 

Another huge plus are the well developed characters. I LOVED Lexi, Gaia and Coco. 

There is quite a bit going on with this book(multiple storylines)  but I didn't mind because it works. Fair warning- once you start reading this book you will want to finish it in one sitting.

Another plot point I really loved was the Nordic folklore. However, I felt cheated at the end regarding some of this-no explanation something. But perhaps I missed it? 

Overall this a creepy beautifully crafted novel that I think with appeal to fans of Ruth Ware. 



Drop me a note below, I'd love to hear from you.



Comments