book club thursday

  

 

Reading Challenge


Welcome Book Lovers

My name is Cyn and each Thursday (not to mention Fridays and Sundays) myself and my BBFF (the extra B is for book LOL) Ann from over at Romancing the Readers blog together. 



Reading Challenge 2021

Simple- we each read & review a book that fits a "challenge" from our list. I picked a challenge from this list -it's highlighted


theme:covers as in covers feature:

a book with a cover you don't like 

mis-match:cover doesn't fit book

trifecta:cover/title/about=perfect 

animals 

nature

single person

objects

body parts  1/28



 



When Lena Johnson’s beloved grandmother dies, and the full extent of the family debt is revealed, the black millennial drops out of college to support her family and takes a job in the mysterious and remote town of Lakewood, Michigan.

On paper, her new job is too good to be true. High paying. No out of pocket medical expenses. A free place to live. All Lena has to do is participate in a secret program—and lie to her friends and family about the research being done in Lakewood. An eye drop that makes brown eyes blue, a medication that could be a cure for dementia, golden pills promised to make all bad thoughts go away.

The discoveries made in Lakewood, Lena is told, will change the world—but the consequences for the subjects involved could be devastating. As the truths of the program reveal themselves, Lena learns how much she’s willing to sacrifice for the sake of her family.



I freely admit to almost bypassing this book, even with the creepy eye catching body parts cover. When I first saw it (early this month) and read the blurb, I wasn't too sure. A Goodreads book club that I had just joined chose it to read for February so of course that helped make up my mind!  

I also admit that first few chapters were a bit rough for me, until I got into Giddings style of writing. Let me tell you in a nutshell a few words to describe this book - raw, scorching, majestic.

The basic subject matter, while we might not like to really think about it, sadly is a realistic one. I won't elaborate or get up on a soapbox, except to say that. A thing or two bothered me but maybe that's the whole point of Lena's journey.

A very thought provoking novel and I'd read another book by Giddings in a heartbeat. 

 




Visit:

Romancing the Readers

Return on: 

1/29 for Feature Friday






Comments