review -children of chicago- cynthia pelayo


my musings


welcome book lovers



When Detective Lauren Medina sees the calling card at a murder scene in Chicago’s Humboldt Park neighborhood, she knows the Pied Piper has returned. When another teenager is brutally murdered at the same lagoon where her sister’s body was found floating years before, she is certain that the Pied Piper is not just back, he’s looking for payment he’s owed from her. Lauren’s torn between protecting the city she has sworn to keep safe, and keeping a promise she made long ago with her sister’s murderer. She may have to ruin her life by exposing her secrets and lies to stop the Pied Piper before he collects.


Oh...what to say about this book...

I was excited to be able to read ARC, especially this title has received tremendous buzz for the past several months. It's all well deserved by the way. 

This is a tragic reimagining of the old Pied Piper tale and it's going to both stop and break your heart. 

Despite the main character Lauren nearly ruining the book for me, something that I typically don't mind(as in sometimes I hate to love them or love to hate them) I just couldn't with Lauren. But you know that's okay because Pelayo's storytelling was just that damn good. 

Plus the Chicago setting was just as much a character in this novel if that makes sense.

Overall if you are looking for a fresh horror tale with a side of crime you should buy the book. I liked it enough that I'm planning to check out Pelayo's other books, especially her true crime themed poetry. 




Comments