dial F for FREAKING FUN





my musings: a review

 


My name is Cyn and I have a serious addiction to books. 

Today I'm reviewing the book listed below. Actually I call my reviews "musings" because I typically keep them very brief and more impressions than anything. If I include spoilers (a rarity) I will warn you.

 


Welcome to 1994. Bill Clinton is the president, Twitter doesn’t exist, and The Midnight Extra is staring at you from every checkout lane and ratty newsstand along the East Coast. Hollywood scandals, wild gossip, and the occasional UFO. You just can’t miss it. You might want to, but you can’t.

The Midnight Extra isn’t much of a tabloid, but that’s never really bothered Buck Vincent. He isn’t much of a reporter. And in a paper notorious for Elvis sightings and celebrity sex gossip, Buck’s Can You Believe It?! section feels right at home. For twenty-nine years, he’s dreamt up stories about Bigfoot, aliens, ghouls, and monsters of every stripe, usually after a whiskey. Or four.

Problem is, Buck didn’t dream up his latest story. He’s seen the blood. And he’s met the strange, smiling woman haunted by something beastly in the night. Hell, he’s seen the damn thing himself.

Good thing he’s teamed up with rookie photographer Betty Roy. She may be a loose cannon, but she’s got more spine than Buck ever had. Gumption too. And together they’ll chase a story that might just be chasing them back. Something with teeth. Let’s just hope the story is worth all the trouble. Things are getting a little spooky.


YOU NEED THIS BOOK!

Seriously- it was so much fun!I'm talking laugh out loud fun.Plus that cover is beyond fitting and I admit to it freaking me out a tiny bit - it totally has the whole the eyes are following me thing going on! LOVE IT.

I was contacted by the author and offered a chance to read & review. I'm so happy he did!   

Remember the old Kolchak: The Night Stalker TV show from the 70's?(HA HA in re-runs for me)This book has that sort of vibe and it's brilliant. I also thought the time setting was a smart choice- the book wouldn't work if it was set in present day (just saying).

Dial M is also very well written and both Buck and Betty are characters I rooted for the whole way through. They are a perfect match for so many reasons. I wasn't bored once, and even gave my husband the stink eye when he interrupted my reading(hint- set time aside once you start).

I can only hope a follow up -it's not completely a wrap at the end- is in the works, sooner rather than later.  

I was provided a print copy from the author(after publication)in exchange for honest review. 

This book was published in Feb 2021 by Terlion Books LLC and is available in both print & ebook. PS It's also on Kindle Unlimited. So like, go get it. 











Comments