BCT-Reading Challenge-7/23/2020




Reading Challenge

Welcome Book Lovers

My name is Cyn and thanks for stopping by. Each week, myself and my BFF Ann from over at Romancing the Readers (RTR)blog about book related themes on Book Club Thursday(BCT)


Reading Challenge

Simple - we each read & reviewed a book that fit a "challenge" from one of our lists. 

I chose from this list:


theme:covers as in covers feature:

a book with a cover you don't like

mis-match:cover doesn't fit book

trifecta:cover/title/about=perfect

animals

nature 6/25

single person

objects

body parts 3/26  


The full list can be found here

Today's challenge






Baird College's Mendenhall echoes with the footsteps of the last home-bound students heading off for Thanksgiving break, and Robin Stone swears she can feel the creepy, hundred-year-old residence hall breathe a sigh of relief for its long-awaited solitude. Or perhaps it's only gathering itself for the coming weekend.
 
As a massive storm dumps rain on the isolated campus, four other lonely students reveal themselves: Patrick, a handsome jock; Lisa, a manipulative tease; Cain, a brooding musician; and finally Martin, a scholarly eccentric. Each has forsaken a long weekend at home for their own secret reasons.
 
The five unlikely companions establish a tentative rapport, but they soon become aware of a sixth presence disturbing the ominous silence that pervades the building. Are they the victims of a simple college prank taken way too far, or is the unusual energy evidence of something genuine---and intent on using the five students for its own terrifying ends? It's only Thursday afternoon, and they have three long days and dark nights before the rest of the world returns to find out what's become of them. But for now it's just the darkness keeping company with five students nobody wants and no one will miss.

I can't believe that I never read this book! I received a signed personalized copy after meeting the author at a Romantic Times convention many many many years ago.

But I am so glad I finally read it! 

I've been into horror books lately and they are harder to find than I'd like - okay, maybe at least the type of horror I like LOL.

The Harrowing hit all the points I enjoy. Creepy and atmospheric, with the right amount of what if... and likable characters. 

For me this was a trifecta book because yes- the the whole package was pefect! Again- I hated that it took me so long to read it - but it was such a treat that I guess it's okay.

Ms Sokoloff's career as a screenwriter pays off with this book in her ability to plot and pace. A definite cinematic style that had me savoring the story and devouring it at the same time!

Plus that ending!

It's a 5 hearts (out of 5) read!  


Join us 7/30: Free Day 






Comments